Wednesday, September 3, 2014

(Review) The Twistrose Key by Tone Almhjell

 
 
Title: The Twistrose Key
Author: Tone Almhjell
Pages: 448
Published: October 22, 2013
PublisherLittle Brown Books UK
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I saw this book in the new LBB-cataloge and instantly fell in love with it.
Synopsis:
Something is wrong in the house that Lin's family has rented; Lin is sure of it. The clocks tick too slowly. Frost covers the flowerbed, even in a rain storm. And when a secret key marked "Twistrose" arrives for her, Lin finds a crack in the cellar, a gate to the world of Sylver. This frozen realm is the home of every dead animal who ever loved a child. Lin is overjoyed to be reunited with Rufus, the pet she buried under the rosebush. But together they must find the missing Winter Prince in order to save Sylver from destruction. They are not the only ones hunting for the boy this night. In the dark hides a shadow-lipped man, waiting for the last Winter Prince to be delivered into his hands. Exhilarating suspense and unforgettable characters await the readers of this magical adventure, destined to become a classic.

Cover:
Doesn't the cover remind you of Narnia? That was the first association I had, when I saw the cover design.

Title:
The Twistrose Key is the key our protagonist uses to gain access to the other world.

Writing style:
Tone Almhjell's debut novel is definitely something special. The writing style is suitable for children without being flat or boring. Quite the contrary! The setting is wonderful, detailed and beautiful. I felt like being sucked into another world while reading this book.

Characters:
Lin lost her beloved pet, a little vole. But the two of them won't be apart forever, because Lin finds a passage to another world in the cellar of her house. It is a world, where dead pets live. Rufus, her vole is there too!
Lin is so sweet! OMG, I love that kid! She is smart, brave and funny. And she masters a huge adventure. The prince of the world she just discovered is missing and she needs to find him. But time is running out...

Noteworthy:
The way, this story was written reminded me a lot of Narnia. Not in a bad way, but I couldn't ignore it.

Stuck in my Head:
„Behind the tall windows, the lacy curtains were swaying as if in a gentle breeze. Only the window was shut, and there was no wind. Three heartbeats ago, someone had been standing in that window, watching them.“ (p. 78)
What I didn't like:
Nothing important to complain!

Quick and dirty:
A sweet and ambitious children's book, that will inspire grown-ups too! I liked the idea of the death-pets-world, that was something new. Even though the gate in the basement was one of the things that reminded me of Narnia. It was just another sort of closet in my eyes. I almost detracted a star because of that. But just almost. The story itself knew how to captivate me!

Thank you to ...
... Little Brown Books UKwho gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment