Saturday, July 12, 2014

(Review) Where She Went by Gayle Forman

 
 
Title: Where She Went
Author: Gayle Forman
Pages: 288
Published: April 19, 2012
PublisherPenguin UK
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
If I Stay was one of the most heartbreaking books I've ever read. I was dying to get my hands on the sequel!
Synopsis:
The stunning sequel to Gayle Forman's international best seller, If I Stay - Now a major film starring Chloe Grace Moretz.  If you had a second chance at first love . . . would you take it? It's been three years since Adam's love saved Mia after the accident that annihilated life as she knew it . . . and three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, powerful prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

Cover:
The cover isn't so good because it has a bad image resolution. But the picture is pretty.

Title:
The title is great, because after Mia recovered, she moved away and broke off the contact with Adam.

Writing style:
Gayle Forman is a very talented author, which she has already proven in If I Stay. Where She Went has the same great writing style, but this time it is from Adam's point of view. It is written in first person and tells his story after Mia has left him. He is a nice guy and I really liked his story, but I didn't cry my eyes out this time. To be honest I wasn't even close to, but that's okay. The book jumps back and forward in time and shows you a lot of Adams past.

Characters:
Adam finally became a rockstar, but he can't handle the stress that comes with it. One night, he ends up in the same city than Mia. She became a rising star on the classical music scene and he decides to go to one of her concerts. Both of them being famous was a litte bit too cheesy. Of course there is a chance, that something like this might happen, but still ...
Mia had dumped Adam after her recovery and went to Julliard. But after her concert, they meet and she can't deny, that she still has feelings for him. But do they really fit together? Both of them changed after Mias family died. I liked both characters, but Mia really changed a lot. She wasn't as sympathetic as she seemed to be in the first book.

Noteworthy:
You do have to read the first book to understand Where She Went.

Stuck in my Head:
“There are so many things that demand to be said. Where did you go? Do you ever think about me? You've ruined me. Are you okay? But of course, I can't say any of that.”
What I didn't like:
If I Stay was highly emotional. I expected this book to be similar but it wasn't. It's a good New Adult read, but not as outstanding as the previous book.

Quick and dirty:
Adams story is beautiful! It's a fast read and and I liked it. The writing style is great and captivating as always but if you expect it to be another outstanding novel like If I Stay, you might get disappointed. In my opinion it is not as good as the first book, but to be fair, that would have been a difficult task. Where She Went is a good sequel and a fun read with an happy end.

Thank you to ... 
... Penguin UK, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment