Wednesday, June 11, 2014

(Review) Promise of Shadows by Justina Ireland

 
 
Title: Promise of Shadows
Author: Justina Ireland
Pages: 384
Published: March 11, 2014
PublisherSimon & Schuster
Review Copy: No

Why did I want this book?
I am a huge fan of Greek mythology and the cover was pretty too..
Synopsis:
A teen who is half-god, half-human must own her power whether she likes it or not in this snappy, snarky novel with a serving of smoldering romance.
Zephyr Mourning has never been very good at being a Harpy. She’d rather watch reality TV than learn forty-seven ways to kill a man, and she pretty much sucks at wielding magic. Zephyr was ready for a future pretending to be a normal human instead of a half-god assassin. But all that changed when her sister was murdered—and Zephyr used a forbidden dark power to save herself from the same fate. On the run from a punishment worse than death, an unexpected reunion with a childhood friend upends Zephyr’s world—and not only because her old friend has grown surprisingly, extremely hot. It seems that Zephyr might just be the Nyx, a dark goddess that is prophesied to shift the power balance: for hundreds of years the half-gods have lived in fear, and Zephyr is supposed to change that.  But how is she supposed to save everyone else when she can barely take care of herself?

Cover:
Isn't it pretty? The Artwork with the feathers and the font looks amazing. Sometimes minimalism is a good thing! Great cover!

Title:
The title refers to some of Zephyr's abilities, therefore I can't tell you more without spoiling the story. But even without that knowledge, I think the title sounds promising!

Writing style:
I liked the writing style. Zephyr is a great storyteller and the writing is fluent. There is humor in some scenes and tragedy in others, therefore the mix was perfect. I can't remember strumbeling over any lengths, so good job! I've read the book in one part!

Characters:
We have four important characters. There is Zephyr who is half human, half god. We met her in Tartarus, where she is being punished for murdering a god. First, they wanted to execute her, but they need to know, how she did it because killing a god should me impossible. They keep sending people to interrogate her, but she refuses to talk. The only friend she has is Cass, who deserves to be in hell. Even Hardes warns Zepher from her. But she believes in her new friend. Zephyer is sure, that Cass has changed, but can she really trust her? Of cause we have two boys as well: Blue and Tallon. They pretty much stand for good boy / bad boy but manage not to stumble into cliches. Personally, I liked Tallon a lot. He is a decent guy.

Noteworthy:
Yay! The book is a standalone!

Stuck in my Head:
“The darkness agrees with me. It asks me to release it, as loud as a roar and as quiet as a whisper. I remember what my sister said long ago: You must control the darkness. You can’t ever give in to it. But the shadows want to make me happy, and I deserve a little happiness”
What I didn't like:
Nothing to complain!

Quick and dirty:
I expected a lot from this book and didn't disappoint me. It's a typical easy-to-read YA book that does without a triangle love story which is another plus point! Everyone who is into Greek mythology shouldn't miss this book!


No comments :

Post a Comment