Sunday, May 11, 2014

(Review) Blood Family by Anne Fine

 
 
Title: Blood Family
Author: Anne Fine
Pages: 448
Published: July 4, 2013
PublisherCorgi
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I found this book on the "Random House UK" homepage and the cover and synopsis looked promising.
Synopsis:
Edward is four years old when he is locked away with his mother by her abusive, alcoholic partner, Harris. By the time an elderly neighbour spots his pale face peering through a crack in the boarded-up window and raises the alarm, he is seven.
Rescue comes, but lasting damage has been done. Sent to live with a kindly foster family, and then adopted, Edward struggles to adapt to normal life. Even as a teenager it's still clear to his new family and schoolmates there's something odd about him.
Then one fateful day, Edward catches a glimpse of himself in a photograph. What he sees shocks him to the core - a vision of Harris. Was this monster his father all along? And does that mean that, deep down, another Harris is waiting to break out?
Every step of progress Edward has made swiftly begins to unravel, and he has to decide whether his blood will determine his future.

Cover:
The cover was what got me interested. Most times, if you don't like the cover, you don't even get to the point where you are reading the synopsis. Therefore: Great job! I would have definitely grabbed it at the bookstore.

Title:
Without knowing the plot, the title doesn't tell you much. But now, after finishing it, I think it fits pretty well since Edward's heritage is the main conflict in this book.

Writing style:
I was hooked on from the beginning. The case "Edward" is told from differed perspectives. It is always written in the first perspective. It feels like standing next to him, while he grows up. I think the writing style is what makes this book so special, because it gives you the feeling of actually being there with Edward. Like it is more than just a story.

Characters:
Of course, we do have Edward a seven-year-old boy, who gets abused by his dad. The youth welfare service gets him out of there and into a foster family for a couple of months. After that, he gets adopted by a nice couple. Eddi is afraid of becoming like Harris, but the more he fights it, the more it looks like his fears will become true. I really liked the fact that the youth welfare service and foster family were professional and nice. Not like most of them are described in other Young Adult books. We also have Eddi's adoptive family. The couple was so sweet! They aren't perfect but I love them! And last but not least there is Alice. She is Eddi's step-sister and always there for him even when he doesn't see it.

Noteworthy:
It is a quite and sensitive book with a special charm.

Stuck in my Head:
I picked my box up and walked out. When I got in the street the frech air hit me in the face. That poor boy had lived in that foul stink for four whole years. And no one had noticed. Christ alive! Sometimes I hate this country. (p. 47)
What I didn't like:
No complaints this time!

Quick and dirty:
The book got me hooked right from the first page! Great cover image, awesome plot and lovely characters. The writing style and plot structure is really something special! The only thing I can say is: Read it, read it and read it! Seriously, don't miss this book!

Thank you to ...
... Random House UK, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment