Wednesday, May 28, 2014

(Interview) with Tammara Webber

 
Author: Tammara Webber
Books: Easy, Breakable, Between the Lines 1-4

I love doing interviews and Tammara was so kind to answer my questions!
Sonja:
How did you get the idea for your book? 
Tammara:
Easy was a story that came to me in bits of scenes and wouldn’t go away. Jacqueline wanted her story told. I was sexually assaulted by a classmate in college (no Lucas for me), but I never intended to speak publicly about it, let alone write about it. It was years before I even told anyone what had happened to me. There was a lot of self-blame involved. I write love stories, so I had to believe strongly in Lucas and Jacqueline and their healing love for each other before I could commit to writing Easy.

Sonja:
I loved the fact that your story didn't become sappy. I think this makes “Easy“ so special. What do you think about unrealistic love stories?
Tammara:
(Thank you, Sonja – I appreciate that very much.) To be honest, I have no problem with any book that connects with readers. I don’t believe in censoring or judging what someone else enjoys. Many people read for fun and escape, not to wade through “real life” stories that simply mirror their own lives – myself included. When I read, I’m willing to suspend disbelief if the story is compelling. That said, the love itself must be believable. I tried to give Lucas and Jacqueline a believable, slowly-building love.

Sonja:
Lucas and Jacqueline are so lovely! Did you get inspired by someone you know?
Tammara:
No, they’re products of my imagination.

Sonja:
How long did it take you to write Easy?
Tammara:
I thought about it for a very long time before I began writing – which is customary for me. Once I began writing, it took a few months to complete a first draft – five months or so. I didn’t do many revisions with Easy, however. It was one of the most straightforward manuscripts I’ve written.

Sonja:
What sorts of books do you like to read in your free time?
Tammara:
I read contemporary and historical romance, Young Adult romance (contemporary, fantasy, paranormal and dystopian), classic literature and non-fiction.

Sonja:
You wrote a lot of books. Does it get any easier every time you write a new one?
Tammara:
I wish that was the case, but no. Breakable was the most challenging book I’ve written, especially from a technical standpoint.

Sonja:
When did you get the idea to write Breakable?
Tammara:
About a year after I initially published Easy (it was self-published in May 2012, and republished by Penguin US in October 2012). I was surprised when Lucas began to tell me his story. Before and while writing Easy, I didn’t hear from him. I saw the story through Jacqueline’s eyes. I’m glad that was the case, though – her story needed to stand by itself.


Sonja:
What do you like about being a writer and what not?
Tammara:
I love to write. I love the process of creating stories. I even love editing! I’m not as fond of revisions – moving huge chunks of the story around or making sweeping changes that affect the entire manuscript. That’s why I do a lot of pre-planning, however – to avoid revising. The more I can alter or fix before I begin, the better.

Sonja:
Do you have any unusual writing habits?
Tammara:

I’m not sure! I don’t think so. Every writer is different, but I think my work habits are standard. There is no right or wrong, as long as the work gets done.

Sonja:
Were you surprised when they told you that Easy will be published in different languages?
Tammara:
 Yes! Every new thing about the publishing process has surprised me. I never expected to be widely-read in the US, let alone elsewhere in the world. It’s been an amazing journey.
 
Sonja:
What would you recommend someone who wants to write a book?
Tammara:

Sit down and do it. When you hit the rough patches, push through them. Often, there is unanticipated research to do, or twists to the story you didn’t foresee. Every writer I’ve spoken with works past these same issues, however. Those who finish are the ones who didn’t quit when the work became difficult.

Sonja:
I’ve just read on another blog, that you are planning to write another book. Are you going to tell us who’s story it will be? My guess would be on Kennedy!
Tammara:

I'm not at liberty to say what book I'm working on next as I haven't discussed it with my editors yet. They would probably prefer that I keep it under wraps for a little while, even if they approve it.

Sonja:
Oh too bad, but there might be another book of the Contours of the Heart series?
Tammara:

I'm discussing that very thing with my editors, but any future Contours of the Heart stories will involve secondary characters. I don't want anyone to think I'm considering more Lucas & Jacqueline stories. Breakable ends their story.




Thank you Tammara!

No comments :

Post a Comment